Chocolate Caramel Slice | Raw Vegan + Paleo + Refined Sugar-Free
I first started getting adventurous with raw vegan recipes when I was 16 years old. There was something so exciting to me about the idea of getting to eat chocolate, and cheesecake and truffles all while still staying healthy! The whole idea behind eating “raw vegan” foods, summed up in one sentence, is basically to eat foods in their natural, wholefood state in order to get the most nutrients possible.
So there I was, chowing down on a whole (raw vegan) cheesecake by myself, completely oblivious to its calorie content. You see, although you may be eating food in their most nutrient-dense state, those foods still have calories. And those calories can be pretty damn high. A lot of raw vegan unbaking features ingredients like nuts, nut butters, and it is sweetened with honey or dates. Nine times out of ten, if you find a raw vegan caramel recipe, the caramel will be made using cups and cups of dates. This makes an out-of-this-world caramel, but it’s also SUPER high in sugar too! Even though it’s all natural, the excess sugar from the dates will still spike your insulin levels like regular white-table-sugar does, telling your body to store fat, and triggering you to crave more and more sweet stuff!
This slice is legit a game-changer. Although there are still calories from the fat content (but hey, it’s coconut butter + coconut oil, so good fats!), it also helps to sweeten the slice. In addition to this, only teaspoon of rice malt syrup is added! This stuff is AMAZING, and it’s always my go-to when I’m using a sweetener. What I love is that it doesn’t dramatically spike your blood sugars causing you to crave more and more sugar.
……….FAIR WARNING THOUGH: this stuff is crazy addictive in its own right, and if you are on a mission to get your body back in shape use this as a healthy treat! I like to store mine in the freezer, pulling out a piece when my sweet-tooth needs a sugar-hit!
Chocolate & Caramel Nut Slice
What You Need:
- 100g coconut butter, melted (you can make your own in the food processor like I did here)
- 1 T coconut oil
- 2 T cacao powder
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 3 T tahini
- 1-2 tsp rice malt syrup
- 2 tsp coconut oil, melted
Hard Chocolate Topping
- 3T coconut oil (melted)
- 1-2 tsp rice malt syrup
- 2T cacao powder
1. Line a small loaf pan, or baking tray with glad wrap/cling-film.
2. Place all ingredients for the base in a bowl and mix. Pour into the dish/tin and place in the freezer until set (approx 20mins) and it is hard to the touch.
3. Meanwhile, to make the caramel topping, mix tahini, coconut oil and rice malt syrup together until smooth.
4. Once base is set, pour caramel layer over the top and spread evenly.
5. To make the chocolate, mix all ingredients together until they’re well combines.
6. Pour your chocolate over the caramel layer!
7. Return to the freezer for a further 30 mins until set. Cut into squares and store in the fridge.
That’s it!! You now have the world’s most DELICIOUS caramel slice!! I entered the recipe into MyFitnessPal, and I’ll cut the slice into whatever serving sizes I want depending on the calories I have left for the day. Enjoy!
October 03, 2017
September 27, 2017
March 24, 2017